Step 1: Review Your Personal Performance
Your success, whatever your field, whatever your qualifications, whatever you do, does not rely on the economy and the fluctuations in the market place.
It really does all begin with YOU.
How is your current performance? How is the performance of your team or those you choose to work with? How well are you navigating the difficult waters during fluctuations in the market place?
One of the problems faced by many small businesses and solopreneurs is the daily struggle to ‘get it all done’. It’s so easy to get bogged down in the day to day running of the business that it leaves no room for working on business strategy, or marketing. If this is you, you’re not alone. It’s a very common problem.
You probably went into business because you wanted to have flexibility, more choice and at the very least some financial gain. But, being busy and working long hours, often for little financial reward is not how it should be. It’s crucial to take some time out to work on your business rather than in it. And yet, it’s a trap many fall into only too easily.
The reality is that when I ask a group of small business owners ‘how many of you have a business or marketing plan for your business?’ almost 95% don’t have one.
When I get into the deeper day-to-day running of their business, the reality is that it’s often very chaotic. For instance, business direction is unclear and the focus is on survival. Marketing is a random activity and the thought of sales, cold calling or making sales presentations is often terrifying! When you’re in that position it’s difficult to see the wood for the trees – or get the results you’d love.
The reasons are often very similar:
- Lack of concentrated working time
- Inability to concentrate on those tasks which make a difference to the business
- Inability to step back from the business as too busy working on day to day issues
- Lack of tools & techniques to enable working smarter, not harder
- Vision and direction is unclear
- Inability to plan effectively
- Lack of delegation skills
- Resistance to change
- Prioritising ability is poor
- There’s only ‘me’ to do everything
- And more …
SYMPTOMS include …
- Stress, often high level
- Erratic levels of income (feast & famine)
- Poor business growth
- Low concentration levels
- Lack of focus & direction
- Make a list of all your business activities. Include every task that you currently do.
- Set out each business activity under a main heading of Administration, Accounts, Sales, Marketing, Personal Development, Product/service development, Strategy/Planning.
- What percentage of time are you currently spending on each of these activities?
- If you were able to concentrate only on the tasks that brought income into your business and allowed it to grow, what tasks would you choose?
- How would your business look if this was to happen?
Amazing results in personal performance can be achieved by making a few simple adjustments. Learning key skills to set goals, delegate, prioritise, plan, and work towards a clear vision sets you apart in business.
WHAT’S YOUR SUCCESS & FINANCIAL BLUEPRINT SET FOR?
If you are not getting the results you want in life and business it will be due to one of two things, possibly both.
Firstly, your personal blueprint which is not set for the level of success you aspire to. What happens then is self-sabotage (even if you don’t recognise it as such).
Secondly, your business blueprint is not set for success and that is down to finding a strategy for you and your business aligned with your personal blueprint. Until you get these in place how can you ever hope to achieve your big financial results from your business? Success is not an accident!