Being a first time manager can be a daunting experience for some. It is very much a work in progress.
Here are some tips to help you start on the right foot.
- Go in quietly. Accept that you have lots to learn. No doubt your hard work has paid off and your very experienced in your chosen field, but confidence in being a great manager takes time to learn.
- Use your team. Ask them questions. Take an interest in their roles. Get to know them well. Get to know their jobs and how they get on with each other.
- Be humble. If you don’t know something, ask someone else. Be open with your team if you don’t know. Aim to find the solutions and come back to them.
- If you make a mistake, admit to it. Never blame it on something or someone else. Mistakes are the best ways to learn – even more so for managers. If you’ve messed up, always aim to put things right.
- Encourage feedback. Canvass opinion from your team. Offer an open door policy so they see you are approachable.